The Early Childhood Division is made up of 3-year-old kindergarten, 4-year-old kindergarten, and 5-year-old kindergarten. At St. Luke's, children begin their educational journey in a nurturing, playful environment under the guidance of caring and committed teachers. During these early years children are forming lasting impressions of school and of themselves as learners. We believe that a positive early childhood experience is vital to future academic success. We provide this experience through a supportive environment in which each child can take on new challenges and experience success.
Our academic skills are introduced and reinforced through workbook activities, oral drills, learning games, and unit activities involving reading, numbers, social studies, and science. A hands-on approach is used in Math and Science as children move from the concrete to the abstract. The Early Childhood curriculum is based upon the premise that young children learn best when they are actively engaged in meaningful experiences.
Although St. Luke's Early Childhood Division is a "structured" school day, there is also daily time allocated for free play, learning centers, creative art work, and storytelling. Children are given opportunities each day for listening, speaking, drawing, painting, and imaginative play. We strive to develop happy, secure, well-adjusted children who are excited about learning and able to interact appropriately with their peers and adults.
The St. Luke's Early Childhood curriculum is enhanced by classes in Music and Art. Five-year-old kindergarten students visit the Computer Lab weekly. Students in St. Luke's Early Childhood Division visit the Library every week where they listen to a story, look at books, and even have the chance to sing and dance! Children attend Physical Education class at least twice each week and enjoy time on one of our playgrounds every day during recess and free play time.
An Inside Look
- Outstanding, caring teachers
- Proven curriculum offering a solid foundation
- 2, 3, and 5 day programs for 3 year olds
- Half day and full day classes offered
- Small class size
- Attention placed on fine motor skill development
- Daily outdoor play time
- Small-group center activities
- Experiential learning using manipulatives
- Whole-group activities/projects
- Group and individual counseling services available
- Guidance classes
- Extended day program available
- Infirmary staffed by full time registered nurse
- Program includes Music, Art, Physical Education, and Library
- Computer classes for K5
- Opportunities for parent involvement